Greetings! This is a blog I've created to document the October 2007 trip to New Orleans by a delegation from St. Stephen Lutheran Church (Williamsburg, VA). I'm Kristin Bass, daughter of Gerri and George Bass, who are longtime St. Stephen's members. I was a member too for a while. I attended St. Stephen from childhood through adolescence and still come home at least every Christmas.
Since I graduated high school, I've gone to college and grad school (Ph.D. Education and Psychology) and am now an educational researcher working in San Francisco and living in Berkeley. Between college and grad school I participated in the Lutheran Volunteer Corps (LVC), a year-long national service program in which volunteers work for social justice, live in intentional community, and live simplified lifestyles. I lived in Chicago and worked for the Chicago Recycling Coalition where I was an environmental educator. I did a lot of work with small business associations, students and the general public to spread the word about the environmental and economic benefits of recycling.
I've never done a "volunteer vacation" like this upcoming trip to New Orleans, but I'm very much looking forward to it. This is the kind of thing that's been on my "life list" for a while ... right up there with a few other travel dreams, running a marathon, and learning to knit (which is harder than I thought it was ... I once bought a book called Knitting Without Tears and wanted my money back).
So that's a little about me and why I'm going . I'll post updates and photos as I can in New Orleans. Hopefully I can get some other members of the team to post stories as well.